You would be amazed at the lives some of the people in the service industry have led. They are not uneducated people who had no choice but to become a dishwasher or a server. They have had some extreme ups and downs and those experiences have shaped them into the people they are for better or for worse. One common theme I’ve noticed throughout all the restaurants I’ve worked at (besides excessive drug use) is that these people will ALWAYS surprise you.
Some examples I’ll share with you:
- The owner of the restaurant I work at, a millionaire, started out as a busboy.
- One of our bussers was in the Mexico City National Opera before he came to America in search of a better life. Ya, a better life than that?
- One of our dishwashers was a sniper in the Mexican equivalent of a S.W.A.T team.
- Numerous bartenders, servers, cooks, you name it, have served in the military.
- My boyfriend who is a bartender in downtown Austin served in the Army for four years.
- A bartender/ friend of mine is also a professor at Texas State University.
- One of my managers has traveled the world and backpacked more mountains than I can count on my fingers.
- Another manager was living New York, working only a few blocks away from ground zero, when 9/11 happened.
AND THAT’S JUST ONE RESTAURANT!
So I’ll leave it up to you to imagine all of the incredible things that your server has done and accomplished the next time you sit down to eat. Or better yet, ask them about themselves, it will brighten up their whole day to feel like more than just a servant.
There will be an interview or two to come on some of these amazing people in the next few blog posts!